A new year full of opportunities. This might be: working out, following a meditation course or eating healthier. Whatever it is, start now! Before you know it, this year is over. Time flies. To me, January means detoxing. I”m giving my body a kickstart of healthy stuff so my body will be glowing on the beach this summer ;)…
There are different ways to detox, and so much programs to find. Here are my personal favorites and a 10 step beginners guide:
Detoxing means eliminating toxins from your body and nourishing your body with goods that will speed up the detox process.
- The 7lbs in 7 days
- The Forever Living Clean 9 Detox (I got it via Nadja – Forever Health & Wealth)
- The Lemon detox
These are all detox diets that I’ve tried and that I will recommend to my fellow health nuts. But because they are all kind of difficult – too difficult for ‘beginners’ (in my opinion), I would like to give you another option. Are you a ‘detox beginner’? Then start with your own detox for about 2 weeks with these 10 steps:
First of all, eliminate these toxins (stop eating + drinking them) from your diet:
- Caffeine & Sugar: coffee, black tea and all products that contain sugar (read the ingredients!) should be avoided. Your body needs honoust and real foods that provide energy – not these bad boys that will leave your body craving for more bad stuff.
- Alcohol: it’s actually never good for you (what?!) but during a detox, alcohol is a biiiggg NO NO!!!!
- Fast/white carbohydrates: pasta, rice, potatoes, bread. Don’t eat them. Just don’t.
- Animal products: meat, fish, milk, yogurt and eggs. They are too complex for your body during a detox.
So, we now know what to avoid. Let’s talk about the things you should do:
- Drink a lot of water. I mean really. A lot. 3 liters. Make the toilet your best buddy and pee all the time.
- Dry brush your skin before you shower. It stimulates the bloodflow and the lymphatic system. Read more about why what & how to here.
- Enjoy fresh pressed green juices or smoothies from green leafy vegetables and herbs. Spinach, kale, sellery, cucumber, carrots, parsley, mint, ginger, cilantro are AWESOME. Add lemons, green apples, pears, grapefruit, banana and more lovely fruits for a better taste. Experiment or check out my recipes.
- Eat your superfoods. Himalayah salt, chia seeds, goji berries, acai- / chlorella- / wheatgrass- / maca powder – find out which is your favorite and experiment. Note: in feburari my blog will be all about superfoods!
- Work out. Sweat. Hot yoga, running, Insanity, T25, whatever does the trick for you. Don’t be scared or lazy, just do it.
- Breathe deeply. Watch your breathing actively and breathe deeply. A lot of toxines leave the body via our breath, so BREATHE WELL.
“So, what CAN i eat?!” I hear you – before you start fridge stalking because I made you angry or hungry, hear me out. Nourish your body with organic veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, soups, fresh juices, smoothies, superfoods, water water water water and herbal tea. A detox day can look like this:
Breakfast – A glass of warm water with lemon juice + a green juice or smoothie or overnight oatmeal. A fruit salad is a good option too.
Lunch – A big green salad or a soup (find some lovely recipes here), a soup or a meal with a lot of green (raw) veggies.
Dinner – A big green salad, soup, a green smoothie or a meal with quinoa.
Snacks – Nuts, raisins, carrots, tomatoes, radish, avocado, grapefruit, a banana – you name it. If it’s raw, fresh and healthy, it’s all yours.
Try to eat a lighter meal for dinner. A small salad or green smoothie is perfect. Your body doesn’t need that much energy at night. Unless you’ll work out – in that case, eat 2 hours in advance. Choose quinoa, oatmeal or a salad with lots of plant power.
These 3 recipes are perfect for a detox day:
- 2 handsful spinach
- 1 avocado
- 1 kiwi
- Water (as much as it needs)
Mix all in your blender and add water untill your smoothie is thick or liquid enough – it depends on how you like it. Add your favorite superfoods, done!
Overnight Oatmeal with Almond Milk & Superfoods
- 200 ml (1 cup) almond milk
- 1 handful of oats
- 2 tbs goji berries
- 2 tbs mulberries
- 1 tbs cacao nibs
- 1 tbs chopped coco
- 1 tbs bee pollen
- Pinch of vanilla powder
Put the almond milk together with the oatmeal and goji berries in your fridge during the evening. The next day, your Overnight Oatmeal is almost done. Add the rest of the superfoods and the vanilla, and you’re good to go. Want more sweetness? Add some cinnamon and agave syrup.
- 1 handful kale
- 1 avocado in slices
- 1 pear in pieces
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes (in half)
- 1 handful pecan nuts
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- dried superfoods like inca berries, goji berries, mulberries and cranberries
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy your perfect superfoods salad.
Good luck and have fun!